Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a method of protecting the copyright of digital media. This approach includes the use of techniques that restrict copying and use of copyrighted works and proprietary software. In a way, digital rights management allows publishers or authors to control what paying users can do with their works. This is because these files are protected by Digital Rights Management or DRM.
What is DRM video encryption?
As the name implies, DRM is the management of access to digital content. This includes audio, video, documents, games and other digital content, and DRM ensures that such content is protected and only accessible to those who have the right to view, edit, download and distribute it.
DRM video encryption is a specific technology focused on protecting video, and it is only available to those who have the right to access it. When a video is protected with DRM encryption, no one can easily access the video.
How DRM works
In the case of DRM video encryption, the video file is encrypted using software. Then, an authentication system ensures that only people with the proper key can decrypt and access the video.
A simple way to think about this is to imagine that the video files have been disrupted, and the decryption key provides a way to put them back together so they can be viewed.
DRM video encryption differs from regular encryption (such as AES 128, HLS E and RTMP E) in that it is also used to protect the actual key itself. The key is not made available to the user at any time, thus reducing the chance of it being stolen or passed on.
So even if someone manages to get their hands on the key, if they are not the person who is supposed to use it, the video will remain inaccessible. It is this extra layer of security that makes DRM stand out among other video protection solutions.
What is DRM-protected content?
As you might expect, many large technology companies have their own solutions for creating DRM-protected content. Three in particular – Apple Fairplay, Google Widevine, and Microsoft Playready – collectively cover most platforms and browsers.
If you’ve ever purchased and downloaded a movie or album from Apple’s iTunes Store, you may find it impossible to copy it to another device. This is an action taken by Apple Fairplay to protect content from being shared in violation of the DRM license.
XMediaDRM has those good features
- Manage user authorization and access by geographic region and device category on a unified system.
- Support Google Widevine, Apple Fairplay, Microsoft PlayReady, Huawei WisePlay and streaming protocols such as AES-128 and HLS/DASH/HSS.
- Support Widevine CAS, which can meet the digital rights protection in DVB/IPTV scenarios.
- Support OS-level anti-packet capture protection on Android and iOS devices to effectively avoid content leakage.
- Support flexible license policies, including playback policies and security policies, such as license persistence, license duration, HDCP output control, etc.
- Support various terminals and platforms, including Mobile & Tablet (Android, iOS and iPad), SmartTV (Samsung (Tizen), LG (webOS), Android TV) and HTML5 browsers (Chrome, FireFox, Microsoft Edge, Safair and Opera) . Safair and Opera) .
- Multiple access control policies are supported, including device access control, subscriber access control, geo-blocking access control and blacklist access control.
In addition to software-based DRM, we also support the highest level of DRM protection – hardware-level DRM. this level of protection requires support for playback hardware to be enabled.
Using DRM videos may increase your revenue
Let’s say you are a content creator who produces a range of video assets. Now, while some may be open to general online consumption, you can make them accessible to others for a fee. For example, you may have a series of training videos or confidential material that is only accessible to subscribers who pay a monthly or annual fee.
While you can use less secure video encryption technology, there is no guarantee that your premium content will be fully protected. However, by utilizing DRM-protected video streaming, you can rest assured that your premium content will not be secured by anyone who should not have access to it.