Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a set of access control technologies that restrict access to digital content and devices.
DRM is used to protect intellectual property (such as music, movies, and software) from unauthorized copying and distribution. It can also restrict what users can do with digital content, such as preventing them from making copies or using it on specific devices.
Digital rights management is a set of access control technologies used to restrict the use of digital content. a DRM system can be used to control who can access, copy or distribute digital content. Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a term used to refer to a group of technologies used to protect digital content. DRM technologies provide a way for content owners to control how their digital content is used and distributed. Authorized users can only access DRM-protected content, and it is difficult or impossible to copy or convert DRM-protected content to other formats.
Advantages of Digital Rights Management in OTT
- Digital Rights Management educates users about copyright and intellectual property rights. Most people don’t care about copyright and are passive when it comes to DRM. As long as they can access the content they like, they have no problem with the smaller details. With DRM, companies can communicate to users what they can and can’t do with digital content.
- DRM helps make way for better licensing agreements and technologies. Digital rights management technologies are designed to limit the ways users can interact with content, such as listening to music on multiple devices or sharing content with family and friends. Users who do not want to be restricted by DRM codes can support providers who offer and sell DRM-free content, thereby encouraging providers to find other technologies that are better at licensing than DRM.
- Digital rights management helps authors retain ownership of their works. It’s easy for companies or users to copy content from someone else’s eBook and rename it as their own. With DRM, you can stop anyone from changing the content. This also applies to scientists who rely on DRM to protect their inventions.
- Digital Rights Management helps protect revenue streams. Video and movie producers spend money to make their video, hoping they can recoup their investment when it appears on screen, or when it is streamed or distributed online. DRM can help ensure that only paying subscribers can watch the video or movie. It also ensures that the video is only available to a specific audience. For example, only adults who can verify their age can access videos that contain adult content.
- Digital Rights Management can help protect files and keep them private. DRM effectively prevents unauthorized users from viewing or reading confidential files.
What XMediaDRM can provide
- Unified Management
Manage user authorization and access by geographic region and device class on a unified system.
- Multi-Digital Rights Management
XMediaDRM supports Google Widevine, Apple Fairplay, Microsoft PlayReady, Huawei WisePlay and AES-128 as well as HLS/DASH/HSS streaming protocols.
- Widevine CAS
XMediaDRM supports Widevine CAS to meet the digital rights protection in DVB/IPTV scenarios.
- Anti-capture protection
XMediaDRM can support OS level anti-capture protection on Android and iOS devices to effectively avoid content leakage.
- Flexible licensing policy
XMediaDRM supports flexible licensing policies, including playback policies and security policies, such as license persistence, license duration, HDCP output control, etc.
- Multi-screen terminal and platform support
XMediaDRM supports various devices and platforms, including Mobile & Tablet (Android, iOS and iPad), SmartTV (Samsung (Tizen), LG (webOS), Android TV) and HTML5 browsers (Chrome, FireFox, Microsoft Edge, Safair and Opera). Edge, Safair and Opera)
- Diverse access control policies
XMediaDRM supports multiple access control policies, including device access control, subscriber access control, geo-blocking access control and blacklist access control.
- Hardware-level DRM support
In addition to software-based DRM, we also support the highest level of DRM protection – hardware-level DRM. this level of protection requires playback hardware support to be enabled.
- DRM Offline Playback
XMediaDRM Offline is a Multi-DRM solution that supports content delivery and playback in an offline environment. It is designed for travel and hospitality applications where Internet access is limited.
While DRM is not a perfect solution, it can be an effective way to protect your video content from being copied and shared without your permission.
If you need help implementing a DRM solution for your video streaming business, XMediaDRM is a comprehensive multi-DRM solution that meets the protection and operational needs of TV operators, content providers and application developers for premium content, contact us today.